One week to West Seattle Community Garage Sale Day! See the map here later today; book donation drive already under way
Posted by westseattlegaragesale on May 3, 2014
One week from now, hundreds will be selling, thousands will be shopping, from Duwamish Head to Brace Point to White Center to Highland Park, on the 10th annual West Seattle Community Garage Sale Day. As promised, you’ll be able to see the map here later today – and it will include the sale numbers, so sellers can start telling everyone they know to come see them at sale # (etc.). We’re also e-mailing the “packets” to sellers this morning, with various info, and we’re post-office-bound with hard-copy packets for the handful of the sellers who requested that version.
WSCGSD has also come to be a day of generosity, as sellers donate unsold/unwanted items to nonprofits, including longtime official WSCGSD partner Northwest Center and recently added partner WestSide Baby, among others. New this year, a book drive for local schools, spearheaded by Denny International Middle School – and book dropoffs are under way even now – here’s a message from Denny’s principal Jeff Clark:
<blockquote>Motivating and exciting students is an important part of education at Denny International Middle School and the other schools in West Seattle. One of the easiest ways to motivate students to read is to have books they are excited about reading. We are seeking donated books to help us to match each student to many appropriately-leveled high-interest books. Your book donation would help us with our efforts.
How You Can Help: You can drop off books at any of these locations:
1. We will have a truck marked Denny Middle School in the West Seattle Junction across from Junction True Value from 3 to 6 PM on May 10th.
2. Hotwire Coffee – 4410 California Avenue SE, any time during open hours thru May 18th . … Note: Hotwire Coffee, as part of its support for the West Seattle community, will give a certificate good for $1 off any purchase at Hotwire to the first 25 people who drop off 10 or more books.
3. Bank of America, West Seattle Branch, 4001 SW Alaska St, 358-2230, from 10-6 M-F, Sat 10-1, thru May 18th.
4. Roxbury Bowling Lanes, 2823 Roxbury St, 935-7400, from 11 AM to 7 PM, thru Sunday, May 18th … Note: Roxbury Lanes, as part of its support for the Seattle community, will give a certificate good for two people for two free games of bowling for any book donation over 20 books.
5. Denny International Middle School, 2601 SW Kenyon St, 252-9000. Drop off at the front desk, from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM Monday to Friday, thru Friday, May 16th.
Some books may be more suitable for older or younger readers. We plan to sort the donated books and find appropriate places for them, including local elementary schools, Chief Sealth International High School, and the West Seattle Senior Center.
Thank you very much for you book donations to help the scholars of West Seattle Schools!</blockquote>
This information is also in the packet going to sellers and will be mentioned on the map pages too, here and on WSB.